- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Have you ever noticed that once you have canker or cold sores they never really go away? You can go through time with no problems but as soon as you get too stressed they reappear. Canker and cold sores are caused by a type of viral infection that the body cannot completely kill. Therefore every time your immune system gets weak, the infection reappears.
There are many types of chronic infections that can affect the sinuses, bladder, digestive system, mouth, skin, and almost any other tissue we have. Many patients with chronic infections often get sick with every flu that comes around and have other immune symptoms like chronic inflammation and allergies.
It is important to make sure that no chronic infection is taking over your immune system and health.
There is a natural balance our immune system is trying to maintain between the fight side of the immune system called the TH1 immune cells and the antibody creating TH2 immune cells. Chronic infections can cause the overuse of the TH1 cells and the depletion of nutrients and internal antioxidants such as glutathione, which maintain immune balance.
Most common chronic infections:
- Epstein Barr virus – Mononucleosis
- Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is the most common chronic blood borne infection in the United States; approximately 3.2 million persons are chronically infected – CDC
- Helicobacter pylori – Digestive tract
- Chlamydia pneumonia – Lungs
- Cytomegalovirus –
- Escherichia coli- UTI
Symptoms of chronic infections:
- Unusual changes in temperature
- Changes either high or low of WBC
- Fatigue for more than 3 months
- Frequent re-occurring dysfunction in any organ example (skin, bladder, bowel, eyes, lungs)
There are many ways to help improve the immune system naturally to aid the body deal with chronic infections. Taking active steps to improve immunity can greatly improve all over health.